Cancer Truth Note: #355
Cancer truths are life truths illuminated by a spotlight!
Nearly a year ago I started posting daily cancer truths. At an event recently someone asked me, “Do 365 truths about cancer exist?” The short answer is yes.
Cancer Truths are life truths.
- We should all be getting regular check ups and recommended screenings. If we have a family history, those screenings should happen earlier.
- Exercise is good for everyone, though we are not often motivated to do it or do the type of exercise that will benefit us most. (Sometimes the stuff you like the least is the most important stuff to do!)
- A need to advocate for our well being, in our relationships, in our work lives, with random people, at the doctors office, etc.
- Mental well being needs to be tended like a garden and recognized and talked about.
- And of course we can never forget… People are weird.
These things show up in our day to day lives. How we see them and how we navigate them depends on our perspective. My hope for cancer survivors is that they can see the truths more clearly and hopefully not take other peoples comments on their truths too personally.
As a cancer survivor I have learned to navigate things differently. Taking time for recreational activities more regularly with no guilt. Connecting with people who I have more balanced relationships with. Letting go of people’s judgements without letting it affect the state of my well being.
As you look back on your day, see what truths came up for you. Drop one in the comments. I would love to read it!
Checkout the Podcast
Cancer Truth Note: #365 Seven years ago today I finished chemo. Then I learned that treatment is not the end of the journey. Surviving is JUST the beginning. I really thought, “GREAT. I am done with this part. I should be back to full strength in 3 weeks and be fine...
Cancer Truth Note: #364 Remember depression, anxiety, fear of recurrence, and other mental health challenges are common side effects for cancer survivors. These may show up more strongly as the days get shorter and colder here in the northern hemisphere. If you are...
Cancer Truth Note: #363 We don’t always see the impacts cancer treatments are having on us clearly, but most of the time if something is off you know it. Maybe tasks that were easy are now harder to process. Maybe your memory is not working like it used to. Maybe you...