UCT Ep. 32: Manning Up to Cancer with Trevor Maxwell
Cancer may not discriminate, but that doesn’t mean everyone’s journey is the same, and it can look very different for a man than for a woman. Today I’m joined by Trevor Maxwell, a husband and father who has been living with stage IV colon cancer since being diagnosed in March of 2018 at the age of 41. He is the founder of Man Up to Cancer, a purpose-driven company that inspires men to avoid isolation during their cancer journeys.
In today’s episode we’re exploring:
- Struggles that men often face when advocating for themselves and receiving support
- How Trevor’s diagnosis of Lynch syndrome during his cancer evaluation completely changed his treatment plan
- The stories and barriers men have to overcome to thrive and get the support they need on their cancer journeys
- Why it’s so important for you to educate yourself on the biology of your disease
- The importance of routine health exams (even if you feel great or haven’t been to the doctor in years!)
- What to look for in a treatment team, and when to ask for a change (yes, it’s ok to ask for a second — or third! — opinion)
- Immunotherapy and its role in cancer treatments
- PTSD and health anxieties after a cancer diagnosis
- The muscle you need to start flexing regularly (it’s not what you think!)
- And more!
Join my free private Facebook community, Surviving is JUST the Beginning to continue the conversation.
Want to appear as a guest?
Get the Episode
UCT Ep. 42: When Your Arm Can Predict the Weather (More Lymphedema Facts and my Favorite Tips for Managing It!)
Episode 42: When Your Arm Can Predict the Weather (More Lymphedema Facts and my Favorite Tips for Managing It!) If your arm can predict the weather within a 48 hour window, then you know the struggles around this condition that isn’t talked about nearly enough:...
Episode 41: Lymphedema - The Facts vs Fiction of this Unspoken Cancer Truth There are many things about cancer survivorship that we don’t get prepared for during diagnosis and treatment, and these are the things I created this podcast to shine a light on! One of the...
Episode 39: Mental Health Challenges in Survivorship (October Survivorship Panel - Part 4) For our final episode in this series, the panel and I are talking about one of the biggest and most impactful survivorship challenges we face, but that is rarely talked about:...