UCT Ep. 32: Manning Up to Cancer with Trevor Maxwell
Cancer may not discriminate, but that doesn’t mean everyone’s journey is the same, and it can look very different for a man than for a woman. Today I’m joined by Trevor Maxwell, a husband and father who has been living with stage IV colon cancer since being diagnosed in March of 2018 at the age of 41. He is the founder of Man Up to Cancer, a purpose-driven company that inspires men to avoid isolation during their cancer journeys.
In today’s episode we’re exploring:
- Struggles that men often face when advocating for themselves and receiving support
- How Trevor’s diagnosis of Lynch syndrome during his cancer evaluation completely changed his treatment plan
- The stories and barriers men have to overcome to thrive and get the support they need on their cancer journeys
- Why it’s so important for you to educate yourself on the biology of your disease
- The importance of routine health exams (even if you feel great or haven’t been to the doctor in years!)
- What to look for in a treatment team, and when to ask for a change (yes, it’s ok to ask for a second — or third! — opinion)
- Immunotherapy and its role in cancer treatments
- PTSD and health anxieties after a cancer diagnosis
- The muscle you need to start flexing regularly (it’s not what you think!)
- And more!
Join my free private Facebook community, Surviving is JUST the Beginning to continue the conversation.
Join the Facebook Group:
Surviving is JUST the Beginning
Want to appear as a guest?
Get the Episode
Ep. 81: Unspoken Cancer Truths: The Year in Review
Episode 81: Unspoken Cancer Truths: The Year in Review I can’t believe we are at the end of 2021! It has been another amazing year of Unspoken Cancer Truths™, and I’m so glad you’ve joined me along the way. In this episode, I’m recapping a snippet of each episode,...
Ep. 80: Recapture Your Well-Being
Episode 80: Recapture Your Well-Being .Are you prioritizing self-care and your well-being this holiday season? If you’re like me, you’ve probably been spending quite a bit of time on Zoom calls and meetings—so, I did a little research on “Zooming” and the impact it...
Ep79: Normalizing the Conversation on Grief and Loss with Lesleigh J. Tolin
Episode 79: Normalizing the Conversation on Grief and Loss with Lesleigh J. Tolin Loss can occur in so many ways, and how we process the accompanying grief is an important step that is often overlooked. That’s why I am so excited to bring you my chat with...