Episode 56: Exercise and Positivity after Breast Cancer w/ Sherri Wagliardo
With the discovery of three tumors in the one year between her annual mammograms, Sherri Wagliardo’s story is a reminder that no one is prepared for a cancer diagnosis. Sherri, a VP of sales for S3 Staffing and mom of two, is talking with me this week about her journey with Stage 1 lobular carcinoma breast cancer. She’s looking back on her diagnosis and mastectomy (being cancer free since December 30, 2019) and sharing the most important things she did to achieve full mobility during recovery to find her new normal — all with her spin of positivity.
We’re diving into:
- Why Sherri made the decision to only have a single mastectomy
- A surprising question the plastic surgeon asked her, and what that meant for her confidence level
- Our similar experiences with “scanxiety” — the anxiety of waiting for results or doctors
- The little saying that was some of the best advice Sherri received from her doctor
- Why the doctor sent Sherri to physical therapy BEFORE her surgery, and the huge impact it had on her recovery
- My thoughts on why everybody has the ability to get back to full mobility with physical therapy (and finding pain relief through exercise)
- A break down of axillary cording – what it is, what it feels like, and the benefit of exercise on loosening them
- Surprising statistics on the impact of physical therapy on lymphedema recovery
- The delayed realization Sherri experienced about her diagnosis, treatment, and recovery — and how this reflects her on-the-go personality
- And so much more!
Follow me on Instagram to get the latest updates on the podcast.
Continue the conversation in my free private Facebook group, Surviving is JUST the Beginning.
Join me for a Coffee Chat here.
Want to appear as a guest?
Get the Episode
Episode 81: Unspoken Cancer Truths: The Year in Review I can’t believe we are at the end of 2021! It has been another amazing year of Unspoken Cancer Truths™, and I’m so glad you’ve joined me along the way. In this episode, I’m recapping a snippet of each episode,...
Episode 80: Recapture Your Well-Being .Are you prioritizing self-care and your well-being this holiday season? If you’re like me, you’ve probably been spending quite a bit of time on Zoom calls and meetings—so, I did a little research on “Zooming” and the impact it...
Episode 79: Normalizing the Conversation on Grief and Loss with Lesleigh J. Tolin Loss can occur in so many ways, and how we process the accompanying grief is an important step that is often overlooked. That’s why I am so excited to bring you my chat with...