Episode 61: Optimism, Survivorship, and Self-Advocacy with Kelley Lennon
A special podcast guest is returning for this episode to give us an update about her cancer journey—and I’m so excited to chat with her again. Kelley Lennon is a 37 year cancer survivor whose journey has taken her through 3 cancer diagnoses and treatments (Hodgkin’s lymphoma at age 17, palate cancer 30 years later, and metastatic lung cancer soon after.) She was even asked to share her inspiring story of survivorship for Stand Up to Cancer’s #10Years10Stories feature in 2018.
In this episode, Kelley opens up about her continuing health journey, why she shares her cancer story, and we’ll dive into self-advocacy as a way to be informed & confident knowing your body.
- How immunotherapy is saving lives (like Kelley’s!) and changing survivorship
- The ways Kelley and her family stay optimistic about their future
- Why she pushed for physical therapy—plus, the mental and physical benefits of movement
- Navigating doctor’s visits during COVID-19
- Our TOP TIPS to utilize research and data to self-advocate and start a conversation with your doctor
- The areas of cancer research we feel need improvement (and what we wish would change)
- And so much more!
Check out this short video of Kelley’s Stand Up to Cancer feature story
Follow me on Instagram to get the latest updates on the podcast
Want to appear as a guest?
Get the Episode
Episode 69: How to Think Critically Before Taking Advice There are so many research studies out there about the cancer journey, and it can be really tricky to navigate the plentiful information. How can you be sure that you are following advice that is factual and...
Episode 68: Caregivers Honoring Caregivers with Dr. Erika Michalski If you’ve ever been a caregiver, you know how hard it can be to juggle the many support roles you take on for your loved one, along with taking care of yourself (and living your life!). My guest this...
Episode 67: Ditch Negativity and Try Something New Have you ever felt scared to try something new? I've been there, too! Whether it's a new hobby, exercise routine, or an invitation, finding opportunities to venture out of your comfort zone can not only be positive,...