Episode 35: Sex and Reconnecting with Your Body After Cancer with Tara Galeano
No one prepares you for this when you are diagnosed with cancer, and virtually no one talks about it afterwards during survivorship: what it’s like to feel sexual, have sex, and just rediscover your own body after cancer. But we’re talking about it today because it’s so important! On today’s episode I’m talking with Tara Galeano, a licensed professional counselor and AASECT certified sex therapist who has helped women (including many cancer survivors!) for over 20 years to get their sexy back. Join us as Tara answers questions from other cancer survivors about intimacy, sex, and reconnecting with your body after treatment.
We’re diving into:
- Tara’s favorite unsung superhero that started her on this path
- The unspoken challenges after a mastectomy
- Dealing with the question “what makes me a woman?”
- How to maintain or regain connection and intimacy with yourself and/or your partner while dealing with the physical changes after a mastectomy
- Tara’s favorite tips for dealing with the physical symptoms of treatment-induced menopause like hot flashes and vaginal dryness
- How you can move past the mental hurdle of not being interested in sex when your sex drive is impacted by getting thrown into menopause overnight during treatment
- The biggest thing you can do to improve your relationship (and it doesn’t have to involve intercourse!)
- How the relationship between arousal and desire changes as we get older
- An integral tool to the healing process that no one talks about
- And so much more!
Want to appear as a guest?
Get the Episode
Episode 81: Unspoken Cancer Truths: The Year in Review I can’t believe we are at the end of 2021! It has been another amazing year of Unspoken Cancer Truths™, and I’m so glad you’ve joined me along the way. In this episode, I’m recapping a snippet of each episode,...
Episode 80: Recapture Your Well-Being .Are you prioritizing self-care and your well-being this holiday season? If you’re like me, you’ve probably been spending quite a bit of time on Zoom calls and meetings—so, I did a little research on “Zooming” and the impact it...
Episode 79: Normalizing the Conversation on Grief and Loss with Lesleigh J. Tolin Loss can occur in so many ways, and how we process the accompanying grief is an important step that is often overlooked. That’s why I am so excited to bring you my chat with...