Episode 35: Sex and Reconnecting with Your Body After Cancer with Tara Galeano
No one prepares you for this when you are diagnosed with cancer, and virtually no one talks about it afterwards during survivorship: what it’s like to feel sexual, have sex, and just rediscover your own body after cancer. But we’re talking about it today because it’s so important! On today’s episode I’m talking with Tara Galeano, a licensed professional counselor and AASECT certified sex therapist who has helped women (including many cancer survivors!) for over 20 years to get their sexy back. Join us as Tara answers questions from other cancer survivors about intimacy, sex, and reconnecting with your body after treatment.
We’re diving into:
- Tara’s favorite unsung superhero that started her on this path
- The unspoken challenges after a mastectomy
- Dealing with the question “what makes me a woman?”
- How to maintain or regain connection and intimacy with yourself and/or your partner while dealing with the physical changes after a mastectomy
- Tara’s favorite tips for dealing with the physical symptoms of treatment-induced menopause like hot flashes and vaginal dryness
- How you can move past the mental hurdle of not being interested in sex when your sex drive is impacted by getting thrown into menopause overnight during treatment
- The biggest thing you can do to improve your relationship (and it doesn’t have to involve intercourse!)
- How the relationship between arousal and desire changes as we get older
- An integral tool to the healing process that no one talks about
- And so much more!
Want to appear as a guest?
Get the Episode
Episode 67: Ditch Negativity and Try Something New Have you ever felt scared to try something new? I've been there, too! Whether it's a new hobby, exercise routine, or an invitation, finding opportunities to venture out of your comfort zone can not only be positive,...
Episode 66: Transcend Your Trauma with Sue Bowe The survivorship journey presents its own unique challenges—although your cancer treatments may be done, there are many mental and emotional health aspects of living through cancer that still need to be addressed. This...
Episode 65: Connecting with the Cancer Community with Myra Perscky Have you ever thought about joining a cancer support group? Connecting with people who are going through similar experiences is so incredibly important for any cancer journey. Not only can you get...