Episode 35: Sex and Reconnecting with Your Body After Cancer with Tara Galeano
No one prepares you for this when you are diagnosed with cancer, and virtually no one talks about it afterwards during survivorship: what it’s like to feel sexual, have sex, and just rediscover your own body after cancer. But we’re talking about it today because it’s so important! On today’s episode I’m talking with Tara Galeano, a licensed professional counselor and AASECT certified sex therapist who has helped women (including many cancer survivors!) for over 20 years to get their sexy back. Join us as Tara answers questions from other cancer survivors about intimacy, sex, and reconnecting with your body after treatment.
We’re diving into:
- Tara’s favorite unsung superhero that started her on this path
- The unspoken challenges after a mastectomy
- Dealing with the question “what makes me a woman?”
- How to maintain or regain connection and intimacy with yourself and/or your partner while dealing with the physical changes after a mastectomy
- Tara’s favorite tips for dealing with the physical symptoms of treatment-induced menopause like hot flashes and vaginal dryness
- How you can move past the mental hurdle of not being interested in sex when your sex drive is impacted by getting thrown into menopause overnight during treatment
- The biggest thing you can do to improve your relationship (and it doesn’t have to involve intercourse!)
- How the relationship between arousal and desire changes as we get older
- An integral tool to the healing process that no one talks about
- And so much more!
Want to appear as a guest?
Get the Episode
UCT Ep. 42: When Your Arm Can Predict the Weather (More Lymphedema Facts and my Favorite Tips for Managing It!)
Episode 42: When Your Arm Can Predict the Weather (More Lymphedema Facts and my Favorite Tips for Managing It!) If your arm can predict the weather within a 48 hour window, then you know the struggles around this condition that isn’t talked about nearly enough:...
Episode 41: Lymphedema - The Facts vs Fiction of this Unspoken Cancer Truth There are many things about cancer survivorship that we don’t get prepared for during diagnosis and treatment, and these are the things I created this podcast to shine a light on! One of the...
Episode 39: Mental Health Challenges in Survivorship (October Survivorship Panel - Part 4) For our final episode in this series, the panel and I are talking about one of the biggest and most impactful survivorship challenges we face, but that is rarely talked about:...