Episode 35: Sex and Reconnecting with Your Body After Cancer with Tara Galeano
No one prepares you for this when you are diagnosed with cancer, and virtually no one talks about it afterwards during survivorship: what it’s like to feel sexual, have sex, and just rediscover your own body after cancer. But we’re talking about it today because it’s so important! On today’s episode I’m talking with Tara Galeano, a licensed professional counselor and AASECT certified sex therapist who has helped women (including many cancer survivors!) for over 20 years to get their sexy back. Join us as Tara answers questions from other cancer survivors about intimacy, sex, and reconnecting with your body after treatment.
We’re diving into:
- Tara’s favorite unsung superhero that started her on this path
- The unspoken challenges after a mastectomy
- Dealing with the question “what makes me a woman?”
- How to maintain or regain connection and intimacy with yourself and/or your partner while dealing with the physical changes after a mastectomy
- Tara’s favorite tips for dealing with the physical symptoms of treatment-induced menopause like hot flashes and vaginal dryness
- How you can move past the mental hurdle of not being interested in sex when your sex drive is impacted by getting thrown into menopause overnight during treatment
- The biggest thing you can do to improve your relationship (and it doesn’t have to involve intercourse!)
- How the relationship between arousal and desire changes as we get older
- An integral tool to the healing process that no one talks about
- And so much more!
Want to appear as a guest?
Get the Episode
Episode 55: My Journey as a Mom of an ALL Survivor w/ Sharon Bryant Baumgarten Sharon Bryant Baumgarten will never forget the exact moment she received the life-changing news that her 9 year old son, David, had leukemia. The whirlwind diagnosis took their family on a...
Episode 54: Barbara Caplan-Bennett on Losing Her Nose to Save Her Life The physical manifestations of cancer are unique to every journey, and some are more outwardly obvious than others. Our guest this week, Barbara Caplan-Bennett — a published author of several...
Episode 53: Paula Shepherd Gets Real w/ Her BRCA+ Journey Sometimes you don’t have to actually have HAD cancer to really understand some unspoken cancer truths, like what it’s like to be thrown into menopause at a young age or what that first look at yourself...