Episode 58: Finding Silver Linings During COVID-19 w/ Laura Morrow
Your busy life doesn’t always stop when you are diagnosed with cancer. This is true for this week’s guest, Laura Morrow — breast cancer survivor and owner of Simply AIP, a subscription food service for women following the Autoimmune Protocol — who was in the middle of big life changes (as well as the start of a pandemic!) when she was diagnosed with Stage 0 ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS). On this episode, Laura opens up about her cancer journey and having an autoimmune disease, the silver linings (and challenges) of navigating surgery & recovery during a pandemic, and the steps she took to make the most informed decisions for her health.
We’re diving into:
- Laura’s relief at solving her mysterious autoimmune disease, and how that led her to fill a void in the market for Autoimmune Protocol followers
- A surprising diagnosis of DCIS at age 41 — plus, what Laura wished she would’ve done before she went into her biopsy
- Why Laura made the decision to have a bilateral mastectomy for Stage 0 cancer
- The craziness of buying & selling a home and having surgery amidst a pandemic
- How COVID-19 impacted Laura’s community of support
- The silver lining of a quiet hospital room because of COVID-19 restrictions
- Laura shares how she makes the MOST confident & informed decisions for her health
- The clever way Laura updated her family, friends, and colleagues about her diagnosis (while making her needs explicit!)
- A bright side to the timing of Laura’s diagnosis, surgery, and recovery
- And so much more!
You can get started with the Autoimmune Protocol through delivery from Simply AIP
Follow me on Instagram to get the latest updates on the podcast
Continue the conversation in my free private Facebook group, Surviving is JUST the Beginning
Join me for a Coffee Chat here
Want to appear as a guest?
Get the Episode
Episode 75: Health Awareness Month, EVERY Month You might be surprised to know that I'm not a fan of Breast Cancer Awareness Month (although I do appreciate the support!), but, I am an advocate for being health aware EVERY month, and I'm passionate about empowering...
Episode 74: Lymphedema: an unexplained mystery indeed! I describe higher education as a little like a marathon! You finish it and feel elated but wow I am never doing that again and yet here I am working on my second masters in public health (and I have completed 3...
Episode 73: Switching Up the Standard of Care with Stacey Tinianov Did you know that you have choices when it comes to treating your cancer? You CAN be in charge of your health and have the personalized care you want! My guest this week, Stacey Tinianov, is a mom,...