Episode 58: Finding Silver Linings During COVID-19 w/ Laura Morrow
Your busy life doesn’t always stop when you are diagnosed with cancer. This is true for this week’s guest, Laura Morrow — breast cancer survivor and owner of Simply AIP, a subscription food service for women following the Autoimmune Protocol — who was in the middle of big life changes (as well as the start of a pandemic!) when she was diagnosed with Stage 0 ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS). On this episode, Laura opens up about her cancer journey and having an autoimmune disease, the silver linings (and challenges) of navigating surgery & recovery during a pandemic, and the steps she took to make the most informed decisions for her health.
We’re diving into:
- Laura’s relief at solving her mysterious autoimmune disease, and how that led her to fill a void in the market for Autoimmune Protocol followers
- A surprising diagnosis of DCIS at age 41 — plus, what Laura wished she would’ve done before she went into her biopsy
- Why Laura made the decision to have a bilateral mastectomy for Stage 0 cancer
- The craziness of buying & selling a home and having surgery amidst a pandemic
- How COVID-19 impacted Laura’s community of support
- The silver lining of a quiet hospital room because of COVID-19 restrictions
- Laura shares how she makes the MOST confident & informed decisions for her health
- The clever way Laura updated her family, friends, and colleagues about her diagnosis (while making her needs explicit!)
- A bright side to the timing of Laura’s diagnosis, surgery, and recovery
- And so much more!
You can get started with the Autoimmune Protocol through delivery from Simply AIP
Follow me on Instagram to get the latest updates on the podcast
Continue the conversation in my free private Facebook group, Surviving is JUST the Beginning
Join me for a Coffee Chat here
Want to appear as a guest?
Get the Episode
Episode 69: How to Think Critically Before Taking Advice There are so many research studies out there about the cancer journey, and it can be really tricky to navigate the plentiful information. How can you be sure that you are following advice that is factual and...
Episode 68: Caregivers Honoring Caregivers with Dr. Erika Michalski If you’ve ever been a caregiver, you know how hard it can be to juggle the many support roles you take on for your loved one, along with taking care of yourself (and living your life!). My guest this...
Episode 67: Ditch Negativity and Try Something New Have you ever felt scared to try something new? I've been there, too! Whether it's a new hobby, exercise routine, or an invitation, finding opportunities to venture out of your comfort zone can not only be positive,...