Episode 62: Thriving Beyond Cancer with Athena Scalise Waitt
More and more people with cancer are living (and thriving!) beyond treatment. How can healthcare providers better meet their needs in a post-treatment world? I’m diving into this question with triple-negative breast cancer survivor thriver and mom of two, Athena Scalise Waitt.
In this episode, she’s opening up about the ways she took control of her cancer & wellness journey, the unspoken side-effects of cancer treatments, and we’ll dive into why there’s still so much more to be done for survivorship care.
- Why Athena believes an earlier stroke was connected to her breast cancer diagnosis
- What’s different about treating triple-negative breast cancer (and what it meant for Athena)
- Her choice to have a bilateral mastectomy—and the silver lining of her “upgrade” a couple years later
- Chemo brain, libido, and other (NORMAL!) lasting impacts of cancer treatments that no one talks about
- What we think should be happening during post-treatment risk periods
- How practitioner bias is impeding survivorship care plans
- And so much more!
Learn more about or donate to the Barnett-Searing National Cancer Foundation (BSNCF)
BSNCF 2nd Annual Virtual Walk/Run
Follow me on Instagram to get the latest updates on the podcast
Want to appear as a guest?
Get the Episode
Ep. 81: Unspoken Cancer Truths: The Year in Review
Episode 81: Unspoken Cancer Truths: The Year in Review I can’t believe we are at the end of 2021! It has been another amazing year of Unspoken Cancer Truths™, and I’m so glad you’ve joined me along the way. In this episode, I’m recapping a snippet of each episode,...
Ep. 80: Recapture Your Well-Being
Episode 80: Recapture Your Well-Being .Are you prioritizing self-care and your well-being this holiday season? If you’re like me, you’ve probably been spending quite a bit of time on Zoom calls and meetings—so, I did a little research on “Zooming” and the impact it...
Ep79: Normalizing the Conversation on Grief and Loss with Lesleigh J. Tolin
Episode 79: Normalizing the Conversation on Grief and Loss with Lesleigh J. Tolin Loss can occur in so many ways, and how we process the accompanying grief is an important step that is often overlooked. That’s why I am so excited to bring you my chat with...