Episode 62: Thriving Beyond Cancer with Athena Scalise Waitt
More and more people with cancer are living (and thriving!) beyond treatment. How can healthcare providers better meet their needs in a post-treatment world? I’m diving into this question with triple-negative breast cancer survivor thriver and mom of two, Athena Scalise Waitt.
In this episode, she’s opening up about the ways she took control of her cancer & wellness journey, the unspoken side-effects of cancer treatments, and we’ll dive into why there’s still so much more to be done for survivorship care.
- Why Athena believes an earlier stroke was connected to her breast cancer diagnosis
- What’s different about treating triple-negative breast cancer (and what it meant for Athena)
- Her choice to have a bilateral mastectomy—and the silver lining of her “upgrade” a couple years later
- Chemo brain, libido, and other (NORMAL!) lasting impacts of cancer treatments that no one talks about
- What we think should be happening during post-treatment risk periods
- How practitioner bias is impeding survivorship care plans
- And so much more!
Learn more about or donate to the Barnett-Searing National Cancer Foundation (BSNCF)
Follow me on Instagram to get the latest updates on the podcast
Want to appear as a guest?
Get the Episode
Episode 74: Lymphedema: an unexplained mystery indeed! I describe higher education as a little like a marathon! You finish it and feel elated but wow I am never doing that again and yet here I am working on my second masters in public health (and I have completed 3...
Episode 73: Switching Up the Standard of Care with Stacey Tinianov Did you know that you have choices when it comes to treating your cancer? You CAN be in charge of your health and have the personalized care you want! My guest this week, Stacey Tinianov, is a mom,...
Episode 72: Make the Choices that Reclaim Your Power No one chooses the cancer journey for themselves, so it’s up to us to make the experience the best we can. Have you thought about what choices you can make to empower yourself and live more fully in the world? In...