Episode 42: When Your Arm Can Predict the Weather (More Lymphedema Facts and my Favorite Tips for Managing It!)
If your arm can predict the weather within a 48 hour window, then you know the struggles around this condition that isn’t talked about nearly enough: lymphedema. Last week I broke down what the heck a lymphatic system is, what lymphedema is, who may be at risk for developing it, and some facts and fiction around this little understood topic. But if you or a loved one are suffering from lymphedema, I wanted to bring you even more because I’m SUPER passionate about this topic. So this week I’m diving into some actionable steps you can start taking TODAY to manage your lymphedema and 7 facts you should know about it.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- The surprising number of breast cancer survivors who develop lymphedema (and further out from treatment than you think!)
- Who should be screened for lymphedema
- Why baseline measurements are SO important (BEFORE surgery or treatment starts!)
- When you can (and SHOULDN’T) wear your older compression sleeves
- All about compression sleeves, when to wear them, how often to replace them, and why they help
- Off the shelf vs custom compression sleeves
- How to manage the varying and confusing cost of compression garments
- Fighting insurance battles around your compression sleeves
- The BIGGEST challenges in managing lymphedema
- Why not all lymphatic drainage massage is not created equal and may NOT help your lymphedema (it’s so important to look for this ONE thing when finding a massage therapist!)
- The stigma around this condition and why it may be keeping you living in fear and your condition worsening
- Tips for managing your lymphedema while flying
- The ONE largest negative outcome of keeping quiet about this topic
- And more!
Want to appear as a guest?
Get the Episode
Episode 55: My Journey as a Mom of an ALL Survivor w/ Sharon Bryant Baumgarten Sharon Bryant Baumgarten will never forget the exact moment she received the life-changing news that her 9 year old son, David, had leukemia. The whirlwind diagnosis took their family on a...
Episode 54: Barbara Caplan-Bennett on Losing Her Nose to Save Her Life The physical manifestations of cancer are unique to every journey, and some are more outwardly obvious than others. Our guest this week, Barbara Caplan-Bennett — a published author of several...
Episode 53: Paula Shepherd Gets Real w/ Her BRCA+ Journey Sometimes you don’t have to actually have HAD cancer to really understand some unspoken cancer truths, like what it’s like to be thrown into menopause at a young age or what that first look at yourself...