UCT with Jenn Cochran, Ep. 29: Self Care as a Caretaker with Jennifer Downing
It doesn’t take a personal diagnosis of cancer to forever change someone’s life; the journey and story of a caregiver to a close family member with cancer is one that is important to tell as well. Today I’m joined by Jennifer Downing, who shares with us her own journey through her sister’s cancer journey and loss, and how it’s shaped how she moves through her life moving forward.
In today’s episode, we explore:
– The shocking discovery of her sister’s rare form of ovarian cancer at age 37
Supporting someone through remission and relapse
– The importance of self care and boundaries as a caregiver
– How yogic philosophy helped Jen to bond with her sister further during her cancer journey
– Jen’s struggles in her grief journey and how she is working through them
– The evolution of caregiving roles in a family
– How her social perspective changed through her sister’s cancer journey and her own caregiver journey
– The profound reminder she received during her sister’s cancer journey that helped give her peace practicing self care while her sister was in the hospital
Jen is a type A personality in recovery, following her passion of teaching therapeutic yoga primarily to women with autoimmune conditions. She lives in the Washington, D.C. area, loves a good cappuccino, and Netflix binge with her fiancé/ “future yoga husband.” You can find her @zen2thejenn and Well + Zen Yoga
Want to appear as a guest?
Get the Episode
Episode 74: Lymphedema: an unexplained mystery indeed! I describe higher education as a little like a marathon! You finish it and feel elated but wow I am never doing that again and yet here I am working on my second masters in public health (and I have completed 3...
Episode 73: Switching Up the Standard of Care with Stacey Tinianov Did you know that you have choices when it comes to treating your cancer? You CAN be in charge of your health and have the personalized care you want! My guest this week, Stacey Tinianov, is a mom,...
Episode 72: Make the Choices that Reclaim Your Power No one chooses the cancer journey for themselves, so it’s up to us to make the experience the best we can. Have you thought about what choices you can make to empower yourself and live more fully in the world? In...